Here comes the Yiddish

John Cowan jcowan@reutershealth.com
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 02:06:35 -0500 (EST)

Doug Ewell scripsit:

> By defining 4-letter second subtags to be script codes, in some future
> revision to RFC 3066, it would become unnecessary to register special
> tags like yi-hebr and yi-latn.  This situation will come up again and
> again (e.g. az-Cyrl and az-Latn).

Oh, come on.  What is this vast supply of languages written in more than
one script?  The situation is rare.  Sanskrit might be the record-holder
for max number of scripts, but I doubt if there are more than 25-35
languages that are written in more than one script.

Not a huge problem.

--
John Cowan   <jcowan@reutershealth.com>   http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
"One time I called in to the central system and started working on a big