Unicode & IETF

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Sat Aug 16 18:41:07 CEST 2014

At 20:29 12/08/2014, Vint Cerf wrote:
>and that is likely the crux of our disagreement because some of us,
>including me, think that we need precision in IDNs to avoid multiple
>encodings that lead users into thinking they have typed what they
>meant but they end up in the wrong place because the DNS discovers a
>different registered string than the one the user might have intended.
>
>On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 1:31 PM, Shawn Steele
><<mailto:Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com>Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com> wrote:
>(It's strange how the subject migrated to the changed one).
>I would prefer to err on the side of allowing people to type the
>things they think they need to type.

Correct. This has a name: subsidiarity. The reason why we were able
to accept the RFC 5895 text and get a consensus on IDNA2008 was that
it introduced the Internet/network way to support end to end external
diversity through subsidiarity at the fringe (RFC 1859) rather than
at multiples edges (edge providers and IDNA2003) or within the
network (my filter was simple no end to end MUST)

RFC 6852 has paradigmatically approved this conclusion. I appealed it
for the very reason we discuss here: it means the end of an IAB
enforced unique mathematicality (the actual standards being used for
economic reasons do not need to be formal). I wanted this to be
clarified. i.e. ISOC to say if the internet architecture is
hierarchical (I can appeal) or heterarchical (there is no ultimate
appeal). On March 14, 2013, the NTIA's sentence was a political
dynamic layer violation: it is to be multistakeholderist :-)

It is not a response our computers and protocols are yet used to.
However, ICANN has accepted to proceed that way, it means that the
whole "I*linear hierarchical logic leadership" has progressively
abdicated during the last 2 years [OpenStand: Aug. 22, 2012] in the
hands of the TNCs.

This is reflected in the double constraint situation observed on Dec.
14th 2012, in Dubai,

- the US BUG (being unilaterally global), after the Snowden revelated
36 years old Executive protectorate (1977) is to be normalized
through common US (colonial) jurisdiction by the removal of the NTIA
(leadership is back to the FCC) and money elected and lobbied Congress.

- the RFC 6852 internet technical/commercial fragmentation as the
"economics of global markets, fueled by technological advancements,
drive global deployment of standards regardless of their formal
status" that "contribute to the creation of global communities,
benefiting humanity".

IMHO, we are now committed to the 1984 Tymnet/Extended Services
multitude/polycratic/agoric oriented meshed syllogistics. It is
required to address your IEN 48's second motivation which was to copy it.

Right now this will lead a few of us (some Libre IUsers) to
consolidate my EZoP, HomeRoot, SuperIANA, Happy-IP, M&M model issues
under  the Libre  "MYCANN" effort (not a competition, a contengency
response to the NTIA, just in case ....).

I hope there will be others alternatives.

This is interesting as it will lead to an entire architectonical
review of the networking domain (architectonics: comprehension of the
infrastratum, the bottom structure) and to basic notions such as
presentation layer, data/capta/tracta, meta/syllo/data, brainware,
intellition, quiddity and haeceity (that will also be most probably
fundamental in SDN and bigdata).

And to VGNs (Virtual Glocal Networks) ... you introduced at the very
begining, with the key architectonical sentence:

"The term "local" is used in a loose sense, here, since it means
"peculiar to the particular network" rather than "a network of
limited geographic extent." (probably a fundamental contribution to
the resolution of the disiciplinary unbiquitous "locality problem").

For the fun of history: en of May 1978 Robert Tréhin and I went to
visit Louis Pouzin in order to propose him investingating a Cyclades
VGN on Tymnet under the ACT technology Tymnet unveiled in June.
Unfortunately, Louis explained us that he had no more budget and was
to close Cyclades (in october if I am right) while Transpac started
operating officially in september. A few billions users later on...

Long delayed.
Interesting.

jfc