Updating RFC 5890-5893 (IDNA 2008) to Full Standard

Anne van Kesteren annevk at annevk.nl
Mon Nov 12 13:56:24 CET 2012

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Simon Pieters <simonp at opera.com> wrote:
> I asked our developers who implemented this.
>
> [[
> Hi Simon!
>
> First of all what we have is not IDNA2008 + UTS46. In general we've
> implemented IDNA2008 + RFC5895 but with few diversions:
> - we NEVER prevent DNS lookups,
> - all domain names violating IDNA2008 (and some more, listed below) are
> presented in UI in the punnycoded version (rfc3492) only. Those are domains
> that:
>         - contain characters classified as INVALID (rfc5892),
>         - contain characters classified as CONTEXTJ or CONTEXTO but in wrong
> context (rfc5892),
>         - for which BIDI rules are not met (rfc5893),
>         - are using characters from 2 or more scripts that should not be
> used together (our own heuristic that e.g. blocks displaying
> http://www.gooɡle.com/ - IDNA2008 allows that one).

Opera still has support for IDNA2003 domain label separators.

Opera also implements the non-normative (and not recommended per the
email from John) mapping in
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5895#section-2 per some limited testing
I did.  At least fullwidth is mapped to ASCII.

And even with all those non-standardized extensions to IDNA2008 it's
unclear how compatible Opera actually is.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/