wrt IDNA2008 migration (was: IDN processing-related security considerations for draft-ietf-websec-strict-transport-sec)

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Sun Oct 2 01:18:57 CEST 2011

--On Friday, September 30, 2011 12:59 -0700 "=JeffH"
<Jeff.Hodges at KingsMountain.com> wrote:

> while investigating this stuff I heard that the "DNS world"
> is moving to IDNA2008 -- not exactly sure what that means --
> registry/registrars, resolver code, ... ?
>
> But given the deltas between IDNA2008, IDNA2008 + RFC5895,
> IDNA2008 + UTS46, and IDNA2003, it seems to me that it'd be a
> good thing if we can try to get more uniform IDNA2008 adoption
> overall, i.e. bite the bullet now rather than later when it's
> a lot bigger.

That, of course, reflects the rough consensus of the WG.
Otherwise, the best solution (no incompatibilities at all, no
transition, etc.) might well have been "IDNA2003 forever" with
an attitude toward those whose characters didn't appear in
Unicode 3.2 or were badly handled in IDNA2003 of "to bad, get
used to it".