simon at josefsson.org
Mon Feb 21 23:08:36 CET 2011
Vint Cerf <vint at google.com> writes:
> We could adopt the view that once decided, even if Unicode versions change
> properties, we will keep persistent all earlier classifications - that is
> how I interpret Mark's position. Others, including me, have some discomfort
> with preserving these previous (mis)classifications without exception.
This paragraph characterise the two alternatives well, and helped me
understand that the disagreement is on a fundamental level and not
related to the new code points.
I believe that if two different IDNA2008 implementations can give
different outputs, users will get more problems than if all IDNA2008
implementations behave the same even if it is in a sub-optimal way.
Sub-optimal behaviour can be mitigated on a higher level (mapping),
which is already discussed and permitted by the specifications.
More information about the Idna-update