Browser IDN display policy: opinions sought

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Wed Dec 14 11:55:13 CET 2011

On 13/12/11 15:37, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> You are possibly mixing up levels again. If a user goes to
> www.nastypr0nsite.com and hides that by clearing everything in his
> browser, that action does not clear the DNS cache at the same time.

In Firefox, it clears everything under our control - and, in fact, we
have had additional APIs added to the plugin interface used by e.g.
Flash so we can clear stuff not under our direct control as well, such
as 'Flash cookies'. If Firefox retains any sort of record that you've
visited a particular site after you have cleared all data, that's a bug.

> One level up, you said "If there are going to be rules, by far the
> best place to enforce them is once at domain registration time, not
> in real time in performance critical code millions of times a day at
> access time". I disagreed because TLDs are registered in the root,
> and I do not want ICANN enforcing a policy on TLDs that the TLDs
> cannot change over time.

I can't parse the last sentence. Are you saying:

a) "I do not want ICANN enforcing a policy on TLDs such that the TLDs
cannot change the policy over time."

or

b) "I do not want ICANN enforcing a policy on TLDs such that the nature
of the policy in regards to what TLDs can and cannot exist, cannot
change over time."

or something else? Surely, with respect to b), ICANN does this, but has
no problems today changing its policy about what is and isn't allowed?

Gerv