Browser IDN display policy: opinions sought

Paul Hoffman phoffman at imc.org
Tue Dec 13 16:37:58 CET 2011

On Dec 13, 2011, at 2:26 AM, Gervase Markham wrote:

> OK, yes. I was typing faster than thinking. For "blocking", read "start
> displaying the name as Punycode".

Whew. Good.

> I guess what I'm saying is that with this browser-enforced mechanism,
> someone can register a name, verify that it renders fine in all
> browsers, start using it, build a business, and then a change of
> registry policy leads to their name starting to appear as gobbledegook
> everywhere simultaneously.
>
> That doesn't sound awesome.

A zone *always* has the right to change information for sub-domains in the zone; many of those changes will affect the story you gave above. The policy for name display is one of the least-offensive of these changes.

As others have said, if you want permanent perfection, don't look for it in the DNS.

>>> Except if it's the first time the user has visited the site, or the
>>> user has cleared their browsing history, or is using private
>>> browsing, or their cache has been cleared due to memory pressure on
>>> their mobile device, or...
>>
>> When a user visits www.example.com and the browser only knows the
>> policy for .com, the browser might look up the policy for
>> example.com. Or, it might not: a browser that cares about display
>> speed might have a list of single-script terminal labels that don't
>> need looking up, such as "www".
>
> http://www.com?

Correct. If you haven't cached .com's name display policy when you get that, go ahead and display it.

> This part of the idea sounds like it would need something like, er, the
> Public Suffix List to make sure it worked correctly. ;-)

It sounds like you are fishing for reasons to support it; have a party with that.

You are possibly mixing up levels again. If a user goes to www.nastypr0nsite.com and hides that by clearing everything in his browser, that action does not clear the DNS cache at the same time.

The latter. Repeating myself: the first time a user goes to www.somenewsite.com, if the policy for .com is already in the user's DNS cache, there is no additional lookup.

>>> Surely the opposite? If a TLD enforces a policy at registration
>>> time, it can change that policy and start accepting registrations
>>> under the new one, without consulting anyone.
>>
>> Have you forgotten that TLDs are registered with the root? Or are you
>> making an exception for them in the "once at domain registration
>> time" rule above?
>
> I'm sorry, I've failed to follow this subthread of the discussion. Can
> you restate your point for me?

One level up, you said "If there are going to be rules, by far the best place to enforce them is once at domain registration time, not in real time in performance critical code millions of times a day at access time". I disagreed because TLDs are registered in the root, and I do not want ICANN enforcing a policy on TLDs that the TLDs cannot change over time.

--Paul Hoffman