IDNA 2008 Question Re: "Confusable" Characters in Domain Names

john daw taliskermoon at hotmail.co.uk
Wed Nov 3 18:14:55 CET 2010

Dear List Members,I am a little unclear what impact the IDNA 2008 policy will have ondomain name registrant's who have a domain that does not fall underthe policy's permissible code-points, particularly symbol-based domainnames.The IDNA 2008 protocol clearly explains what code point are permissible,but what (in practice) will it mean if someone types in e.g. €.com in theirbrowser under IDNA 2008?I do realise that an error message may be displayed, but will IDNA 2008 allow the domain name registrant to satisfy the user's query by forwardingthem on to a different (legal) domain name?I will hope to hear any replies on this matter.Regards,John Daw