my comments on draft-ietf-idnabis-bidi-05

Matitiahu Allouche matial at il.ibm.com
Mon Sep 7 09:47:47 CEST 2009

Martin J. Dürst asked:
But then shouldn't BN also be allowed for
LTR, because some of these characters are needed in Indic scripts?

The assumption in this document is that the rules for LTR labels are in
fact rules for LTR labels in Bidi domain names. I don't think that the
world needs Bidi domain names with some labels written in an Indic script,
thus banning BN from LTR labels preserves some of the anti-phishing
effect.
On the other hand, since this anti-phishing effect is already compromised
for RTL labels, allowing BNs for LTR labels does not make much of a
difference.

Bottom line:  I think that allowing BN in LTR labels is not a useful
extension, but if it is considered better for reasons of principle, or
others, I will not be outraged beyond recovery.

Shalom (Regards),  Mati
           Bidi Architect
           Globalization Center Of Competency - Bidirectional Scripts
           IBM Israel
           Phone: +972 2 5888802    Fax: +972 2 5870333    Mobile: +972 52
2554160