Comments on draft-ietf-idnabis-defs-10

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Thu Sep 3 15:10:22 CEST 2009

Elisabeth,

  See comments below.

vint

On Aug 30, 2009, at 6:35 PM, Elisabeth Blanconil wrote:

> Dear Wil,
> thank you for reading the interplus provisional documents and spotting
> how IUCG user members trust the WG Charter when it states :
>
> "The WG will stop work and recommend that a new charter be generated
> if it concludes that any of the following are necessary to meet its
> goals:
>
> "(i) A change to the "punycode" algorithm or to the ACE approach to
> encoding names  in the DNS."
> -> this is now what you propose.
We have made NO change to the punycode algorithm. The lowercasing
observation is to assure canonical form conversions between punycoded
forms (A-labels) and Unicode forms (U-labels) but does not change the
punycode algorhtm itself.

> "(ii) A change to the ACE prefix from "xn--"
> -> you now propose a change from "xn--" to "$$--"

No that was my way of referring to all strings containing "--" in
positions 3 and 4 of the on-the-wire form of R-LDH labels. We continue
to use "xn--" as the A-label prefix but for all IDNA-aware
applications, reserve the use of the first and second characters in
case there is ever a need to define a new prefix.

> "(iii) A change to the basic approach taken in the design team
> documents (Namely: independence from Unicode version and elimination
> of character mapping in the protocol)"
> -> Vint already proposed the change of the last sub-point.Yet the WG
> has not stopped work as the Chair confirmed it when I asked if it was
> necessary for an I_D concerning and quoting the WG to be published as
> a WG Draft or if IUCG could submit it.

A minor change in the charter was made and approved by the AD to allow
for non-normative mapping document.

> As we expected it, at this stage of the document set production, a few
> hours before the end of the WG/LC, you question the worked out rough
> consensus. Since we obviously expected your requests, we have
> considered at length how they could be best addressed. Our consensus
> is:
>
> 1. either the Chair calls for a stop on the WG work, and a debate on
> Charter changes to be proposed.
There was extensive discussion on the matter of putative A-labels
containing
upper case ASCII and the matter was resolved in my opinion by assuring
that input to punycode conversion is done using lower-case ASCII only.

> 2. either the Charter (modified or not?) is respected and we make (i),
> (ii) and (iii) an issue for the IETF/LC.
You are free to raise any issues you like in IETF/LC but it is my
sense that
we have complete the WG Last Call and are in final edits leading to
presentation of the IDNABIS/IDNA2008 documents to the AD.

> 3. or we face an IETF process and architectural conflict that will
> probably resolve at network clients level.
I have no idea what you mean here but adoption of IDNA2008 is
plainly voluntary.