Comments on draft-ietf-idnabis-defs-10

Elisabeth Blanconil eblanconil at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 11:56:18 CEST 2009

Sorry, I only answered John.

John,

this depends on what this WG calls punycode. I tend to consider
punycode as the interfacing function between U-label and A-label.
After two years that function is like a groggy boxer stripped with
patches everywhere including on the eyes, so one does not really know
what it may see.

I really like your idea of giving us an IETF/LC break with new people
and fresh points of view. I am very worried by the fact that what Wil
brought up was obvious to us from the very begining, what explains
some of our misunderstandings with the rest of the WG. What if there
are other jokers like that? The IETF/LC will help spotting them.

For example, I am very suspicious about the U-Label restriction to
lowercases once the intermediary ASCII string has been lowercased. My
maths are not good but I know that an n character string has only one
way to be lowercased and something power n (or the other way around)
ways to be partially uppercased. Since most of the TMs, fun and tricks
play on cases, as does semantic, I do not see that restriction to
stand for a long. (There are at least two ways to get Uppercased
U-label from lowercase ASCII strings, probably people and crooks will
find more). Also, we actually did nothing about phishing.

Elisabeth