language question re: IDNs

Michael Everson everson at
Wed Oct 7 13:37:26 CEST 2009

On 7 Oct 2009, at 10:56, Martin J. Dürst wrote:

> On 2009/10/07 18:21, Michael Everson wrote:
>> I received the following interesting query from the "European  
>> Registry
>> of Internet Domain Names".
>> I had not heard the term "homoglyph bundling" before. Where does it
>> come from?
> Maybe you should read their mail.

Maybe you should be a little more polite when you point out an  
oversight, Martin.

> They say they created it.

I see, I missed that.

> The term "bundling" has been used before, quite for a while,  
> probably first in the context of CJK variants, in particular Chinese  
> simplified and traditional Hanzi (which are of course not homoglyphs).
> The term "homoglyph" may have been used before, and should be pretty  
> self-explaining for a linguist. An example would be that Latin/Greek/ 
> Cyrillic upper-case As are homoglyphs (unless of course in specially  
> designed fonts).

The term "homograph" is used in the relevant UTR. That is the term I  
was familiar with.

Michael Everson *

More information about the Idna-update mailing list