IDNAbis spec

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Wed Nov 4 16:32:19 CET 2009

On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 08:46:16PM +0530, Gihan Dias wrote:
> My point is that if the WG was unable to reach a consensus, then
> registrars would not be able to do so either, so what we'll have is an
> "anything goes" situation.

Yes, but not by registrars.  Registry operators need to make policy
that makes sense given the characters they're willing to support.
Note that the documents explicitly say, "Registries need to develop
policy in this area."  Will this vary from registry to registry?  Yes:
that's part of the goal.  The idea is to make the protocol flexible
enough that different operators can make different policies to match
their different circumstances.

> At the least, we (software developers, sys admins, website owners,
> advertising companies, users, etc.) need to be aware of the problems.

You bet.  But how is that different from being aware of the linguistic
environment in which your software runs, your systems work, or your
advertising and webites are interpreted?  For instance, if you're
aiming to attract fans of 1970s Detroit automobiles, you'd be pretty
foolish to name your site "underthebonnet.com".  How is this
different?

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.