Touchstones for "Mapping"

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Tue Mar 31 14:44:54 CEST 2009

Martin,

for IDN-aware application, storage as A-labels has the benefit of
storing an unambiguous string that can be converted directly to U-
label form.

For IDN-unaware applications it isn't clear what will happen to a U-
label (presented in some strange way maybe? IDN-unaware means the
software thinks domain names are ASCII only) but at least the A-label
form conforms to IDN-unaware domain name expectations.

So I am not sure I follow your line of reasoning.

Vint Cerf
Google
1818 Library Street, Suite 400
Reston, VA 20190