consensus Call: TATWEEL

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Wed Mar 25 16:24:28 CET 2009

--On Wednesday, March 25, 2009 10:36 +0200 Waleed Oransa
<woransa at gmail.com> wrote:

> The reason for disallowing Tatweel (beside what already
> mentioned by others) that Tatweel has no phonetic, so if we
> have a word that doesn't contain Tatweel and another one
> contains Tatweel, both words will have the same pronunciation.

Hmm.

As something else for those who are still thinking about this,
one of the implications of "no phonetic" is that any sort of
screen reader would need to be specially adapted to spell out
any strings containing Tatweel.  I don't know what the state of
screen reader (text to speech) technology is for the various
languages written in Arabic script, but that may be another
reason to disallow this character in domain names.