RFC 3935 responsibility

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Tue Mar 24 11:54:02 CET 2009

The different mails below and my TATWEEL DISALLOW NO position seem to
show there is some confusion about the matter being really discussed.

The matter is not the TATWEEL codepoint. Considering the impact on
IRI, Semantic Addressing, Semiotics, WTO and WIPO rules, etc.. etc...
the matter is: who is to assume the RFC 3935 responsibility
concerning the digital alphabet being authorized to the world:

- IETF?
- Unicode?
- IANA?
- ISO?
- WIPO? WTO?
- ASWIG? or other enhenced cooperation on a per language basis (we
call "Ledgers" in the ML-DNS exploration)
- national standardisation bodies?
- Governments?
- UNESCO or MAAYA or accademics?
- Registries?
- users?

I have no problem this being decided by IETF, however it must be
accepted by all the others. This is why:

- I think advisable this results from a formal IETF consensus. I am
afraid that today there is no text in the Draft to claim this
responsibility that a consensus may accept to support. For years I
have proposed that at least that responsibility be assumed by Unicode
which has experts and ties with other SSDOs in this domain. This is
has always been opposed.
- I do not think, I may be wrong, this belongs to the current
WG-IDNABIS Charter. Otherwise, why was the ASWIG created?
- I do not feel such a responsibility would be accepted by the IETF
and the accademic, regalian, civil, private societies without at
least an IETF entity to review the DISALLOW claims, such as the ccTAG Reviewer.

This being said, I have no objection (but I feel some may have
objections within and outside the IETF) to a scheme where:
- every language should have an ASWIG or Francophonie equivalent,
showing close ties with every concerned community and trade.
- the IETF documents a procedure where-by these entitities may
reflect their decisions in IDNA IANA tables

Otherwise, I am afraid this IDNA proposition loses international
credibility and will be opposed in WG-LC, IETF-LC, international
implementation with an other decade delay.
Please, let stay within our charter. And be sure that at the end of
the day what will prevail is what the users will want. We only can
either delay and confuse it or speed it up after so many years.

jfc