xd- with C/DNAME (was: Re: The Two Lookups Approach (was Re: Parsing the issuesand finding a middle ground -- another attempt))

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Mon Mar 16 18:00:30 CET 2009

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 12:49:02PM -0400, John C Klensin wrote:

> Even for IE7, which seems to be your primary concern, going to a
> different resolution logic -- looking up different QTYPEs under
> different circumstances, presumably based on a list of
> characters -- is an entirely different deal than the operation
> the traditional plug-ins have done, which is simply to map one
> URL into another.  Shawn or Andrew may want to comment on this
> further, but I think you are into the range of a far more
> serious deployment problem than you anticipate, one that might
> be sufficient to make the idea useless in any relevant time
> frame.

Right, this is what I was talking about when I noted that developers
keep telling me how absolutely impossible it is to get most of the
data out of the DNS.  Some developers tell me that they basically have
their own resolver inside the application in order to get some of the
data, because the OS APIs don't provide the necessary means to reach
into (for example) the additional section and get the data from
there.

I think if our plan to solve IDNA2003/IDNA2008 interoperability
problems is, "Every IDNA-aware application needs its own resolver
libraries," we're not going to get very far.  I can't prove it, of
course, but I'd bet a pretty good lunch.

But in any case, what John said: I no longer really have a clear idea
of what the suggestions mean.  I think if we want to pursue this
discussion any further, we need an I-D that outlines the proposal
completely.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.