HYPHEN-MINUS

Wil Tan wil at cloudregistry.net
Wed Jul 29 01:46:22 CEST 2009

Chris,

2009/7/29 Patrik Fältström <patrik at frobbit.se>

> On 28 jul 2009, at 16.50, Chris Wright wrote:
>
> CONTEXTO for HYPHEN-MINUS
>>
>> * Is similar to the section in the protocol disallowing consecutive
>> hyphens in the third and fourth position (4.2.3.1 of protocol document)

 Agreed. It should be specified in the same place.

>> * Is applied to Unicode labels; the encoded label does not violate host
>> name syntax

Agreed.

>> * Has no context; the surrounding characters do not influence this test

While not dependent on surrounding characters, this test does hinge on the
position of the character in the label.

>> I assume the rationale behind the prohibition of HYPHEN-MINUS at the
>> beginning or end of a label is to carry across host name syntax restrictions
>> into the Unicode label space. This appears to be attempting to achieve
>> similar goals to section 4.2.3.1 in the protocol document by disallowing
>> consecutive hyphens in the third and fourth positions. These two
>> restrictions should appear in the same place.
>>
>> To clear any confusion that may have arisen during limited discussion last
>> week, the context rule is applied to the putative U-label, therefore the DNS
>> and host name syntax restrictions do not apply (yet). Consider the label
>> b[U+00FC]cher-. The output of this label through the punycode algorithm when
>> appended with the ACE prefix gives gives xn--bcher--3ya. Note this label
>> conforms to the host name syntax.
>>
>> Thus for consistency, simplicity and clarity sake I propose the following:
>>
>> In protocol change:
>>
>> 4.2.3.1. Consecutive Hyphens
>> The Unicode string MUST NOT contain "--" (two consecutive hyphens) in the
>> third and fourth character positions.

>> 4.2.3.1. Hyphen Restrictions
>> The Unicode string MUST NOT contain "--" (two consecutive hyphens) in the
>> third and fourth character positions and MUST NOT start or end with a "-"
>> (hyphen).
>>
>> And then remove the context rule from the tables document and return
>> hyphen to PVALID status as with all other LDH characters

Alternatively, have the two consecutive hyphens rule in the CONTEXTO as
well.
There are pros and cons about having the rules in the protocol versus as a
contextual rule. In any case, having it in the same place makes sense.

=wil