CONTEXTO Proposal

Mark Davis ⌛ mark at macchiato.com
Tue Jul 21 23:00:30 CEST 2009

I am not arguing for removing the ability to have CONTEXTO, or CONTEXTJ
category; it doesn't hurt anything to have them (other than complexity for
the reader).

What I'm talking about is the *choice* of characters in CONTEXTO. There is
good reason to have constraints on hyphen and the ARABIC-INDIC cases,
although I think those would be more clearly, consistently, and effectively
handled in other sections (Protocol and Bidi).

So we are only talking about 6 characters. The problem is that we have
really only turned our attention to these characters at the very last
moment.

   - The rules for all of the CONTEXT characters are in not particularly
   good shape; look at just the changes in this last week.
   - The 6 characters are a small fraction of the set of similar characters
   that are just plain PVALID. There has been no systematic effort to identify
   other characters that have the same issues as the 6 listed.
   - The particular constraints on these 6 characters has essentially zero
   value; anyone trying to prevent harmful instances of characters has to to
   have fundamentally different, and more sophisticated, data.
   - Tables should at least have a documented reason for constraining each
   of these 6 characters; otherwise it's a mystery to users.
   - I can only see these 6 characters causing problems, because we got the
   rules wrong (such as the Katakana middle dot, which has to have different
   constraints, or the middle dot, which is used in orthographies aside from
   Catalan), and not allowing them to have perfectly reasonable URLs in their
   language, without a revision of this RFC.
   - The Bidi constraints -- which *are* valuable -- may end up be tarred
   with the same brush by association.

Since the set of rules and constraints have changed, with only a few people
saying yay or nay, we should have a consensus call on the final result.

But in the end, you've worn me down -- I don't care. It is not required to
process these on lookup, and along the lines Chris said, I suspect that no
registries that are not contractually bound to follow this list would bother
checking them. So I suspect that the vast majority of implementations will
just ignore the CONTEXTO constraints -- like any software I have a choice
with.

Mark