Outcomes and Side Effects (Was: Stop me if I've misunderstood...)

Pete Resnick presnick at qualcomm.com
Sat Jul 11 18:53:09 CEST 2009

On 7/11/09 at 11:28 AM -0400, Vint Cerf wrote:

>can we possibly describe the potential side-effects of choices?
>
>If we were to follow the basic proposal in mappings-01, could we
>offer a few concrete examples of choices.
>
>For example, suppose a user is currently employing a system that
>maps according to IDNA2003. What differences would this user
>experience if his system applies the mappings outlined in mappings
>-01 instead of IDNA2003?
>
>Might we be able to describe other concrete examples?

+1! Thank you Vint.

If every implementation followed what is currently in mappings-01
(before punycoding you NFC, lowercase, and map wides and narrows),
what is the outcome for users? What kinds of things that are going to
be looked up will go to the "wrong" place? How frequent would such
occurrences be?

pr
--
Pete Resnick <http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
Qualcomm Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102