Stop me if I've misunderstood...

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Fri Jul 10 15:44:58 CEST 2009

On 09/07/09 16:07, John C Klensin wrote:
> but the IDNA2008 design has allowed for those
> transformations in the UI and prior to IDNA2008-specific
> processing since the very beginning... and no one is proposing
> to change that now.

So the part of IDNA2003 which specified these transformations has become
a separate document? If that were all the change, I wouldn't be worried.
If the document becomes "advisory", I'd want to know why, and who
planned to ignore it.

> The recipe for chaos lies in having multiple different URIs (and
> apparent domain names) that don't compare equal on a string
> basis but that do map to the same domain name,

Visit the following two sites:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/
http://www.osm.org/

These do not compare equal on a string basis, but you end up at the same
website. Why does this cause chaos?

Gerv