Stop me if I've misunderstood...

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Thu Jul 9 13:53:47 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 11:55:10AM +0100, Gervase Markham wrote:
> Again, stop me if I've misunderstood this: are you saying that a bias
> towards throwing away the IDNA2003-specified mapping layer in favour of
> nothing, or something advisory, is in the initial charter of this group?

The charter is available online from http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/idnabis-charter.html.  I draw your attention to this passage:

    The assumptions outlined above are considered critical to the WG
    constituted by this charter.  The WG will stop work and recommend
    that a new charter be generated if it concludes that any of the
    following are necessary to meet its goals:

    (i) A change to the "punycode" algorithm or to the ACE approach to
    encoding names  in the DNS.
    (ii) A change to the ACE prefix from "xn--"
    (iii) A change to the basic approach taken in the design team
    documents (Namely: independence from Unicode version and elimination of
    character mapping in the protocol)

I'm not sure how it could be clearer.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com