Charter changes and a possible new

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Wed Jan 14 00:22:04 CET 2009

I'm concerned that the current IDNA2008 track record is going to lead to an update at a very inconvenient time in our release cycle for several products.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to *quickly* add important scripts/characters to IDNA2003, perhaps addressing the 80% case?  At the same time there could be a parallel effort to create a more complete solution based on character properties and address the weaknesses in IDNA2003?  If troublesome issues could be avoided in the short term, that might help me.  I think that the goals of the IDNA2008 effort are good, however fixing some of the existing problems and how to best change existing IDNA2003 behavior and mappings is non-trivial.  It seems like the discussion could continue for some time still (IDNA 2010 Winter Olympics?).

- Shawn