IDNCANN

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Tue Dec 29 05:45:44 CET 2009

--On Tuesday, December 29, 2009 02:06 +0100 Patrick Suger
<psuger at gmail.com> wrote:

> As Rod Beckstrom put-it, the Internet is going to change for
> the first time in 40 years. Switching from English ASCII
> passive content prototyping to full multi-lingual active
> content services operations. This is not a small thing. We are
> better to help people prepare for it.

Please do help people prepare.

But please also remember that, whatever Rod Beckstrom may have
said, we've had media types, charset parameters, and other
mechanisms for handling multilingual content since the first
half of the 1990s.  Those mechanisms have been extensively used
for content in many languages, scripts, and character encoding
mechanisms.  We've even got collation mechanisms that permit
language-dependent sorting and comparisons.

IDNs, in any form, are a very small part of the overall puzzle.
And they are arguably nearly the last part, rather than somehow
being the starting point.