Re-sending TXT form of Proposed IDNA2008 Transition Idea

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Mon Dec 14 21:34:00 CET 2009

--On Monday, December 14, 2009 15:17 -0500 Steve Crocker
<steve at shinkuro.com> wrote:

> Patrik,

> Thanks.  Let me say this a bit more carefully.  My wording was
> indeed   imprecise.  The meaning I intended, particularly in
> the ICANN arena   where the registries are restricted from
> initiating registrations, is   that the registrar would
> registrar the variants on behalf of the   existing registrant
> at no cost for a limited period of time.

Steve,

I'm trying to figure out how this would work, at least other
than on a case-by-case basis.  For the registries, ICANN could
do some persuading, could waive the per-name fee, or offer other
incentives.   And there aren't very many of them.   But it seems
to me that the registrars are a different matter: There are many
of them.  We know that a large number of them are in it
primarily for the money, with "smooth, stable, and secure
operation of the Internet" as not a very high priority.   Having
this be "no cost" means that they have to go to significant
effort to identify appropriate registrations and create new ones
without any expectation of compensation.  Worse, they then
either have to track the registrants down and work out with them
how the new zones are going to be delegated and supported
(costly) or have to support those delegations themselves (also
costly and with the potential of all sorts of interesting
security problems since, by definition, that means that the two
zone files are different except in the case in which the
registrar is already the registrant's zone admin (and maybe web
and mail service provider).  I don't see our being able to
persuade them to do that work for the general good as being very
likely.

Do you have a different model in mind?