An idea for transition principles

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Mon Dec 14 20:47:53 CET 2009

On 14/12/09 11:31, Vint Cerf wrote:
> I think trying to schedule an Internet-wide deadline across all
> registries would be very difficult.

...which is why I'm not framing it as a deadline :-)

My point is that we have two options:

- Don't set a "suggested time". Result: registries don't know when
clients might begin the switch. Clients have to spend a lot of time
finding out which registries have completed their sunrise period.
There's uncertainty all round.

- Do set one. Result: both registries, clients and domain users have
some sort of idea what's going on. Clients can write product plans, and
registries have a timeline to work to.

I'm not saying we force anyone to do anything. I'm just saying that
doing the consultation once, and publicising a suggested time based on
key registry feedback, makes much more sense than having Shawn, me and
every other browser vendor seperately call registries and ask them about
their plans.

Gerv