Idna-update Digest, Vol 36, Issue 48

Sarmad Hussain sarmad.hussain at nu.edu.pk
Sat Dec 5 04:50:45 CET 2009

> 200C       ; DISALLOWED  # ZERO WIDTH NON-JOINER
> 200D       ; DISALLOWED  # ZERO WIDTH JOINER
>
> There is no new value called TRANSITIONAL. The infamous 4 characters
> (above) start with the value DISALLOWED. Later, we change them to
> PVALID (or CONTEXTJ for 200C/200D).

Before reverting to IDNA2003 level lack of support for these characters, do
re-consider why the status of these characters (ZWNJ and ZWJ) have been
changed in Idnabis process: these characters are required for writing IDNs
for a billion people in South Asia and beyond.

Having them as DISALLOWED and called TRANSITIONAL will only propagate older
decisions, not fix them.  Having them as CONTEXTJ is already a workable
solution, where they are only (carefully) allowed, where they are needed.

regards,
Sarmad