Additional thoughts on TRANSITIONAL

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Fri Dec 4 17:25:00 CET 2009

On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 04:11:47AM -0800, Erik van der Poel wrote:

> There is no new value called TRANSITIONAL. The infamous 4 characters
> (above) start with the value DISALLOWED. Later, we change them to
> PVALID (or CONTEXTJ for 200C/200D). We encourage ICANN to redelegate
> TLDs the registries of which flout our rules.

Don't you just run into a similar transition problem in the other
direction, using this mechanism?

Besides, I seem to recall discussion in this WG some time ago that
said basically, "If things move from DISALLOWED to PVALID, it will be
a Very Big Deal."  This approach actually builds that in from day 1.
I suspect that, if these start with DISALLOWED, they'll remain there
forever, and those desiring the characters will be SOL.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.