Mappings - some examples

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Tue Dec 1 11:10:19 CET 2009

> Historically ß has been uppercased as SS and SZ and ẞ.
> Only one of those is reversible.

Lowercasing is another problem with making eszett PVALID.  (And final sigma).  If someone types it in all-caps (FUSSBALL.DE) how do they hit the right fußball.de server?

> It seems to me that it is time (also for .de and .at) to bite the
> bullet and accept that in IDN ss and ß are just as different as th and
> þ are.

Any German speaker can recognize ß and ss variations, like color and colour for English.

> And yet you ignore the analogy of color and colour

I said on the other thread (I should've used this thread) that if we'd made "ou" == "o", then that'd work, so long as it was consistent.  Color & colour is also a little different (though close) since ou could be used in a place where o wouldn't be intelligble at all, and that's harder to do with eszett.  However we don't need color and colour to point to different servers.  We DO need the correct display form though.

A better argument might be a-umlaut == ae in German, which clearly is as difficult to address as color and colour, yet is very interchangable, so if we mapped eszett == ss, one could argue that we should also allow a-umlaut == ae.

-Shawn