Mappings - some examples

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Tue Dec 1 09:43:11 CET 2009

On 1 Dec 2009, at 02:56, Shawn Steele wrote:

> Note I don't say that ß and ss shouldn't be presented "correctly"
> for the web site owner, just that they can be reasonably expected to
> go to the same place.  If Fussball.de prefers to be displayed as
> Fußball.de, that should be permitted, but they should both get you
> to the same server.

Why? What about facade.ie and façade.ie? What about colour.ca and
color.ca? What about smith.co.uk and smyth.co.uk? This is a matter of
spelling. Historically ß has been uppercased as SS and SZ and ẞ.
Only one of those is reversible.

It seems to me that it is time (also for .de and .at) to bite the
bullet and accept that in IDN ss and ß are just as different as th and
þ are.