Comments on draft-ietf-idnabis-defs-10

Paul Hoffman phoffman at imc.org
Mon Aug 31 02:30:29 CEST 2009

At 12:35 AM +0200 8/31/09, Elisabeth Blanconil wrote:
>"(i) A change to the "punycode" algorithm or to the ACE approach to
>encoding names  in the DNS."
>-> this is now what you propose.

Wrong: no one other than you has proposed any change to either.

>"(ii) A change to the ACE prefix from "xn--"
>-> you now propose a change from "xn--" to "$$--"

You have both misattributed Vint's statement to Wil and completely misunderstood Vint's statement. The string "$$" does not appear in any of the WG documents.

>"(iii) A change to the basic approach taken in the design team
>documents (Namely: independence from Unicode version and elimination
>of character mapping in the protocol)"
>-> Vint already proposed the change of the last sub-point.

Correct. That is a proposed charter change that is being considered by the IETF. So far, we have heard no objections.