IDNA document set - Last Call review

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Mon Aug 24 16:28:17 CEST 2009

> publication of this set not be stored by the IANA?
>

> IDNA BIDI
>
>     * 1.1. Advisable or not to specify "when U-labels" instead of "labels" ?

The first paragraph says that the document is about U-labels. This
should not need repeating.
>     * 1.4. BIDI properties come from Unicode. They might not be
> complete or could be completed in the future. What then?

See section 7.2, "This memo does not propose a solution for this problem".
>     * 2. A replacement for the RFC 3454 BIDI rule: it would probably
> be good to indicate the applying order.

The 6 conditions can be checked in any order. All must be satisfied in
order to make the test pass; different implementations may find that
different checking orders make the code more or less efficient.
>     * 7. Does that restriction mean that telephone numbers cannot be
> registered in BIDI zones?

If the registry desires that domain names behave sensibly, yes; if the
registry only desires that domain names pass the test, no. There are no
inter-label tests.
>     * 8. IANA considerations. Same remark as in the Protocol case.

The Unicode Consortium does not make changes to published versions of
its standards; I believe we can trust them to keep version 5.1 available
for a while.

> Moreover, the section above then states: "the determination of
> validity for any string depends on the Unicode BIDI property values,
> which are not declared immutable by the Unicode Consortium."

See section 7.2.