My resignation

Steve Crocker steve at shinkuro.com
Sun Apr 19 00:14:31 CEST 2009

LB,

I have been following much of this dialog and I am familiar with the
general set of issues involved here.  I have also been around for a
long time, and I do not work for Google nor do I depend on them for
income.  I now serve on the Board of ICANN and I served on the Board
of ISOC from 2003 to 2006.  I was heavily involved in creating the
present financial support structure for the IETF, i.e. the creation of
the IASA, its oversight board IAOC, and the funding arrangements now
in place to support the IETF.

Your third paragraph, "I understand that the IETF've become a
subsidiary of ISOC ... this is too much control in one place" is
simply wrong.  The IETF is extremely sensitive about its independence
and avoidance of capture by large interests.  All of the parties you
named fully understand the need for independence and work carefully to
preserve it.  Moreover, Vint Cerf, though he works for Google, is
above reproach and contributes enormous amounts of his time to public
service that are not controlled by or aligned with Google's interests.

The IETF is founded on the principle that participation is by
individuals, not organizations.  No organization, no matter whether it
is large or small, controls the IETF processes.

Restricting of posting privileges to a working group is done
reluctantly, rarely, and only after very substantial effort has been
expended to find useful ways to interact.  It is unfortunate such
action was required in this case.  I know Vint and everyone wishes it
had not been necessary.  However, after lengthy interaction and many
attempts to keep the discussion focused on the topic, it was necessary.

Steve Crocker