Minutes from the Tuesday, March 23rd, 2009 IDNAbis WG meeting

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Mon Apr 6 19:18:26 CEST 2009

Hi Mark,

I had to keep myself from running to the mic about this point in time.
Accessibility (in W3C parlance) to me is remembering to select drupal
themes that aren't SEO optimized, but content first, sidebars later (if
at all), and all images used for navigation with ALT tags -- the target
reader is mechanical translation of text to speech. I've two handicapped
children, and while their handicaps are not visual, it keeps me thinking
about what Accessibility really is ... and we used to have a very
competent person helping with the RFC editing process for whom dial-up
voice was TTY ... so ...

I don't assume that visual similarity of characters (homoglyphs) is a
complete statement of the problem, see "MD - suspicious is homoglyphs,
so "looking" is the test", from my minutes. Not only is "visual" beyond
the reach of some individuals, and possibly unnecessary for
text-to-voice implementations, but even "visual" is beyond the reach of
all but a very small set of people, when the strings are sufficiently
long. I can't tell the difference between pi to 61 digits and pi to 62
digits, and as a kid, I actually watched my parents to crash dump
analysis with character-width rules to find corrupted memory (mid-1960s,
IBM and CDC mainframes). No body does that kind of work anymore, and
damn few people can find the "S" at offset 30+/- in either of those two
representations of pi.

I don't think Vint made the best counter-argument to your position,
which I'm glad you restated, for a search engine which creates
identifiers intended only to be processed by algorithms, not eyeballs,
but as Chair that's not something he should do anyway.

I don't think that the only type of "suspicion" that is of concern for
us is visual confusability, though I'm not trying to insert "sounds
alike" into the "looks alike" mess, I just think the exclusive focus on
glyphs isn't certain to deal with all character problems.

If credit cards and instant resolution weren't presumed truths, our
notion of what constitutes "suspicious" would likely be very different,
as well as its apparent importance.

So, now I've done my little lazy evaluation run to the mic.

Eric