Jamo [RE: Consensus Call Tranche 8 (Character Adjustments)]

Edmon mail at edmon.asia
Thu Oct 16 14:46:40 CEST 2008

I agree with the line of thought that we really should not disregard the results of the consensus position established by the most relevant language community after a rather extensive consensus process, so in general, I would side with the experts in Korea.

Nevertheless, having been through this discussion for many times, I understand that there are opinions otherwise and am hoping to make a suggestion that could reconcile the lines of thought and be consistent with our architecture.  When we last discussed the issue of conjoining Hangul Jamo, I had suggested exploring the possibility of addressing them in the following manner:

1. categorize all Hangul Jamo as CONTEXTO

2. add stability contextual rule for these codepoints where the following must be true:

toNFKC(toCaseFolded(toNFKC(label))) != label

I am not familiar enough with Korean, but this might strike a graceful balance between disallowing conjoining jamo that forms a modern hangul and continue to allow archaic Jamo without creating too much of a confusion?...

If I recall correctly, there was response that it seemed interesting, but was not further discussed.  Do people think it might be a viable approach to resolve the issue?

Edmon