Consensus Call Tranche 1 (Document Organization)

Martin Duerst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Mon Oct 13 11:25:15 CEST 2008

Hello Vint,

At 20:14 08/10/10, Vint Cerf wrote:
>Martin,
>
>thanks for these comments.
>
>with regard to the effort to assess consensus, if a lone voice spoke against and there was silence otherwise, I would think we'd reasonably conclude that we could move forward on the assumption that those silent were in agreement. The reason I think one needs to take that view is that otherwise a single dissenter could prevent any forward progress. By the same token, if many speak in favor and few against, it might be reasonable to take this as indication of rough consensus. One problem with working via mailing lists is that the expressions are often somewhat lopsided insofar as those who disagree are more likely to express themselves than those in agreement. Hence an effort to encourage both views to be expressed and also to assume that no response is an indication of agreement.

Your explanations above make a lot of sense, and are very much in line
with my understanding of IETF process, much more so that the text that
went out with the original consensus calls.

If I can express one more little gripe, it would be that "If NO is the
response, a reason for that position needs to be stated." is also a bit
loopsided. It would be good if people on both sides would express the
reasons for their positions.

Regards,    Martin.

#-#-#  http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp       mailto:duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp