Punycode & IMA/EAI

Martin Duerst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Wed May 21 11:46:22 CEST 2008

At 15:01 08/05/21, John C Klensin wrote:

>--On Wednesday, 21 May, 2008 11:15 +0900 Felix Sasaki
><fsasaki at w3.org> wrote:
>
>> Often business cards in Japan (and I assume in other countries
>> as well) have two sides, one with information in English, one
>> with information in the native language. The mail address
>> written on both sides is the same, but sometimes the URI
>> (company homepage) is different: English homepage versus
>> "native" homepage. So far I have never seen an URI written
>> with non-ASCII characters written on a business card, no
>> matter which side.
>
>Nor have I.

I have. A Japanese friend of mine had a Japanese IDN on the
Japanese side of his business card. A single observance, still,
but existing in reality.

>And, if that trend continues and generalizes, then this entire
>IDN exercise (new versions and old) and probably the EAI one are
>a waste of time.  For some reason, a lot of people don't believe
>that.

The main blockers currently remain, which are the not yet close
to complete coverage of IDN-capable browsers (getting better with
the replacement of IE6 by IE7) and the lack of IDN TLDs
(ICANN is working on it, so it can only be a matter of time :-(.

Regards,    Martin.

#-#-#  http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp       mailto:duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp