Archaic scripts (was: Re: New version:draft-ietf-idna-tables-01.txt)

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Thu May 8 05:33:06 CEST 2008

I am by no means trying to declare consensus - but it will be helpful
to see what the range of views and arguments are.

The balance tension at the moment seems to be along the harm/utility
axis. Either we adopt a restriction because we think it is
potentially harmful or we admit into use because we think it will be
useful (and not harmful).

I interpret your position to lie mostly on the utility axis and your
argument to be of the form "it isn't useful to include these scripts"

Others may say, "but what's the harm?"

I am assuming for the moment that you do not equate "useless" with
"harmful"?

vint