Proposed Charter for the IDNAbis Working Group

Leslie Daigle leslie at thinkingcat.com
Fri Mar 28 23:09:07 CET 2008

Martin,

I may well be missing something key in your & John's points, but what I
hear is:

You are disagreeing with John's premise of the need to provide strict
scoping of allowed symbols in IDNs, and are suggesting that there is no
need to exclude particular symbols, because they are so impractical to use
as to be unlikely to appear in registered domain names.

The difference I see is in the protocols using, and software manipulating
(for purposes other than user presentation) these labels:  those
protocols/that software must be built to handle the universe of allowable
symbols, and deal with the potential impacts (for matching) across that
universe.  In that light, I'm not understanding how the argument that
certain symbols are unlikely to be registered is really that manageable.

But, perhaps I missed your point?

Leslie.

--On March 28, 2008 2:27:34 PM +0900 Martin Duerst <duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp>