Greek Casefolding sigma

Patrik Fältström patrik at frobbit.se
Fri Mar 28 17:15:10 CET 2008

On 28 mar 2008, at 12.22, Vaggelis Segredakis wrote:

> I would like to ask you to remove the UTF character 03c2 (Greek
> small letter
> final sigma) from the list of disallowed characters of the Draft “The
> unicode Codepoints and IDNA draft-faltstrom-idnabis-tables-05.txt,
> Feb 18,
> 2008” and place it in the PVALID list of characters.

This codepoint is not PVALID due to case folding rules set by the
Unicode Consortium.

> In previous emails I have expressed the view that by disallowing this
> character you are prohibiting from registration or misrepresenting a
> lot of
> Greek words that use this character.

It is not "us" that have decided casefolding rules for the codepoint.

> By choosing to disallow the small final sigma you are not allowing
> people
> who use the Greek language to use the IDNs as they were originally
> expected
> to be used – a way of representing all languages & character sets in
> the DNS
> space. Instead you chose to propose a protocol that disallows the
> full use
> of a European language.
>
> Please excuse me if this is not the proper way to ask for an
> Internet Draft
> to be changed.

It would be more constructive if you suggest how the solve the problem
you have given the fact that what we try to do is to "inherit" the
decisions already made by the Unicode Consortium.

The only other mechanism we have is to "override" decisions already
made in Unicode consortium on individual codepoints by making explicit
decisions on such individual codepoints in the IETF and add
exceptions. Exceptions that are exceptions, and because of that should
be kept at absolute minimum.

    Patrik