Greek Casefolding sigma

Sotiris Panaretou panaretou.sotiris at ucy.ac.cy
Fri Mar 28 12:44:59 CET 2008

Dear all,

I would like to express our position here in Cyprus (.cy), about the final
sigma case. We are in a process of opening the registration of IDNs using
only Greek characters and we are informed about the changes of the
corresponding protocol.

We are surprised and disappointed about the situation and the scenario that
we will not be able to register domains using properly and completely the
Greek language.

To give you an example, I will not be able to register my name which is
σωτήρης.com.cy and I will be forced to register σωτήρησ.com.cy or
σωτήρη.com.cy which is incorrect.

Please consider the point of view of the two ccTLD Registries .gr and .cy,
which represent two European countries and would like to use in a proper way
an official European Language.

Best Regards,

Sotiris Panaretou
Administator of .cy ccTLD