AW: AW: AW: sharp s (Eszett)

William Tan dready at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 09:28:58 CET 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 3:06 AM, Patrik Fältström <patrik at frobbit.se> wrote:
> On 18 mar 2008, at 08.00, William Tan wrote:
>
>  > I didn't mean it in the literal sense. For lack of a better word, I
>  > quoted it. Perhaps "usable" would be a better word. My point is that
>  > users today are able to create URIs with ß and get to a web site. If
>  > we made ß a distinct character in IDNA200X and registries disallow its
>  > registration, those URIs will no longer work (not even if the
>  > registrant wants to pay money to make them work.)
>
>  Mapping is a completely different discussion than what should be able
>  to register in the DNS, and there are many codepoints that are mapped
>  in IDNA200X.
>
>  And many people have said they are interested in mapping document(s).
>  Mark even have one in the oven.
>
>  Can we keep this discussion around registration please?

Sure, so the discussion has been about whether to keep "ß" as
DISALLOWED, and the implications of not doing so. I guess I'm not
understanding how we can talk about implications while steering away
from the issue of mapping when that character is mapped today in
IDNA2003.

I apologize if I'm going on a tangent.

--
http://xri.net/=wil