AW: AW: AW: sharp s (Eszett)

Patrik Fältström patrik at frobbit.se
Tue Mar 18 08:06:26 CET 2008

On 18 mar 2008, at 08.00, William Tan wrote:

> I didn't mean it in the literal sense. For lack of a better word, I
> quoted it. Perhaps "usable" would be a better word. My point is that
> users today are able to create URIs with ß and get to a web site. If
> we made ß a distinct character in IDNA200X and registries disallow its
> registration, those URIs will no longer work (not even if the
> registrant wants to pay money to make them work.)

Mapping is a completely different discussion than what should be able
to register in the DNS, and there are many codepoints that are mapped
in IDNA200X.

And many people have said they are interested in mapping document(s).
Mark even have one in the oven.

Can we keep this discussion around registration please?

    Patrik