Remove reference to 4690 from charter

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Tue Mar 18 01:35:14 CET 2008

--On Monday, 17 March, 2008 13:13 -0700 Paul Hoffman
<phoffman at imc.org> wrote:

> Lisa said:
>
>> Here are the TODOs on the charter from the meeting:
>>  - Consensus to remove reference to 4690 from charter
>
> I agree with this move. RFC 4690 did many things at once, and
> it is not clear that we intend to do every one of those things
> in this WG.

I have no objection to removing the 4690 reference from the
charter. However, no charter draft that I have seen says "solve
all of the problems and address all of the issues that 4690
identified" and I'm a little concerned about this level of
micro-tuning of the charter (whether by removing things or
specifying additional ones).

Especially because IDNA is a client-side protocol in which it is
difficult to test for conformance on the wire, it is, IMO,
important that the output of this effort identify _why_ things
are being done and, in essence, why people should conform to the
standard.   To the extent to which 4690 provides that rationale
for some of the provisions, it is probably better to have
informative references to it than to need to replicate all of
the text.  I hope that remains an acceptable option and that we
can avoid a model in which people are expected to do things just
because the IETF says so.  The latter has not worked well with
IDNA2003; I see no reason to believe it will work any better
going forward.