AW: sharp s (Eszett)

Georg Ochsner g.ochsner at revolistic.com
Wed Mar 12 09:37:56 CET 2008

I totally agree and would like to add, that this is not a special issue of the sharp s but of IDNs in general. The same arguments applied with the Umlauts ä, ö and ü and I guess also in many other foreign charsets.

The point is this. IDNA gives people back the freedom of using their native language to reach computers via domains, it creates more possibilities not less! You would not have the incompatibility problem, if the mapping from sharp s to "ss" was not decided in 2003. But IDNs definitely are and will stay a success story. Personally when I will look back in ten years I would rather like to remember that there has been an incompatibility between IDNA2003 and IDNA200x than still missing the sharp s. I think it is still time to make a change because as I said 40% (+-5%) of the German users are still using MSIE6 which doesn't support IDNs.

Best regards
	Georg