Single-letter names

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Tue Jul 8 06:49:42 CEST 2008

Ted,

As Edmond pointed out, the position at present is that:

"Single and two-character U-labels on the top level and second level of a domain name should not be restricted in general."

I personally expect that for applications made as "IDN ccTLD", whether
"fasttrack" or not, will be reviewed for some "meaning". It is my
understanding however, that in general, an application for a generic TLD
is not, in the plan of record, presently reviewed for "meaning", at
least, not in any sense that would preclude a single Unicode glyph.

Example, the Cree character for the "i" vowel (a delta triangle),
encoded as xn--zce, is a "single character", and has no "sense" other
than a vowel, is allowable, as is the ascii character sequence "iii",
which also has no "sense" other than a (repeated) vowel.

Your milage may vary, etc.

Eric