Tonus (was: Re: Casefolding Sigma (was: Re: IDNAbis Preprocessing Draft))

Patrik Fältström patrik at frobbit.se
Thu Jan 31 12:57:08 CET 2008

On 31 jan 2008, at 12.37, Michael Everson wrote:

> Aren't we all in this together, Patrik?

Of course we are!

> Your answer here seems dismissive and aggressive. Whatever may be
> stored in the DNS, an implementation of IDN may well need to display
> Greek correctly and in a manner which meets reasonable user
> expectations. None of us may put our heads in the sand over this
> issue.

And it is displayed correctly. IDNA2003 makes it perfectly possible to
have a URI to a webpage that have the final sigma as part of the
domain name, and with a preprocessing document that I thought we would
see one day (based on the last couple of days of discussion) will make
that same solution possible in the IDNA200x as well.

What is NOT possible is to have something that contain final sigma, is
normalized and casefolded according to the Unicode Consortium spec,
keep the final sigma. This because the normalization+casefolding
mechanism that is needed because of the matching on the server side is
a destructive transformation.

    Patrik