Casefolding Sigma (was: Re: IDNAbis Preprocessing Draft)

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Sat Jan 26 18:38:39 CET 2008

--On Saturday, 26 January, 2008 18:57 +0900 Martin Duerst
<duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp> wrote:

> For Latin domain names, countries are all identified by codes.
> While that also has some disadvantages, it has a lot of
> advantages:
> - They are shorter, thus faster to type.
> - They are potentially less politically charged, thus less
>   subject to change than full names (TDLs should NOT change).
> - They are easily identified as country TLDs by their length.

And, because the high distinguishability of basic Latin
characters as well a general knowledge of those characters in
many countries, they are easily identified and told apart.

In other words, yes, that is why we decided to use 3166-1 codes
many years ago.

> Are such short codes being considered at all? In parallel with
> full names? Or did you mean that Cypros is looking at getting
> the equivalent of Cs in Greek for their TLD?

Or the equivalent of Cypros in Greek characters for their TLD.
If you want to get seriously depressed (or amused, depending...)
you should examine the range of proposals for IDN TLD names and
how to formulate them that have been circulated around ICANN.