Normalization of Hangul

Yangwoo Ko newcat at icu.ac.kr
Fri Feb 22 03:24:12 CET 2008

Martin Duerst wrote:
> At 17:10 08/02/21, Kent Karlsson wrote:
>
>> Due to the normalisation stability policy I have never requested normalisation to do this. That it cannot be
>> done is still unfortunate, and indeed makes the Hangul waters forever thoroughly muddy. I do find it sad
>> that the world most elegantly designed script is also the one that has the messiest character encoding.
>
> In a talk at a Unicode conference more than 10 years ago, I have argued
> that the fact that Hangul is designed so well structured on so many levels
> (feature, phoneme, syllable) is actually the very reason for why there
> are so many (fundamentally, not only superficially) different proposals
> for encodings, at least a few having made it into Unicode (and even one
> having been kicked out of Unicode). Encoding designers all saw the
> beauty, but the differed on which level to consider most important.
> All the other, not-so-well-thought-through scripts give the encoders
> much less options to work (and mess) with.

In addition to that, there seemed to exist influences of legacy local
encodings, most which are designed for practical engineering goals (e.g.
compact, easy to handle, and sufficient for modern casual Hangul usages).

> [For IDNA, all of this is of course strongly irrelevant.]

Since this list is about IDNA, I want to hear more comments on this part
if any. I agree with Martin's position as long as the usage of Hangul as
a casual label is concerned.