Normalization of Hangul

Martin Duerst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Thu Feb 21 10:22:21 CET 2008

At 17:10 08/02/21, Kent Karlsson wrote:

>Due to the normalisation stability policy I have never requested normalisation to do this. That it cannot be
>done is still unfortunate, and indeed makes the Hangul waters forever thoroughly muddy. I do find it sad
>that the world most elegantly designed script is also the one that has the messiest character encoding.

In a talk at a Unicode conference more than 10 years ago, I have argued
that the fact that Hangul is designed so well structured on so many levels
(feature, phoneme, syllable) is actually the very reason for why there
are so many (fundamentally, not only superficially) different proposals
for encodings, at least a few having made it into Unicode (and even one
having been kicked out of Unicode). Encoding designers all saw the
beauty, but the differed on which level to consider most important.
All the other, not-so-well-thought-through scripts give the encoders
much less options to work (and mess) with.

[For IDNA, all of this is of course strongly irrelevant.]

Regards,    Martin.

#-#-#  http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp       mailto:duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp